Celia Caust-Ellenbogen

Historical Society of Pennsylvania

Celia Caust-Ellenbogen is Senior Project Surveyor on the Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. She began working at HSP in early 2011 under the auspices of the PACSCL-CLIR "Hidden Collections" project, and has been working on the HCI-PSAR project since September of 2011. She holds a BA in History and World Literatures from Swarthmore College, and an MLIS with a concentration in Archives, Preservation and Records Management from the University of Pittsburgh.

This Author's Posts

The Historical Society of Pennsylvania offers helpful resources for National History Day (NHD), and of course, boasts many archival collections to support student research. However, for students and teachers particularly interested in local history, or who live far from HSP and want to find primary-source documents close to home, a small repository may be a good place to do research.


Feeling a little under the weather lately? Stop eating ice cream cones! According to a 1920 letter by one Mary Stout Martin, they lead to sickness. This and many more healthy eating tips are preserved in the archives at Stenton.


Now that it's October, my mind is on Halloween. Especially since our recent visit to Historic Sugartown uncovered some exemplars of eerie Victorian-era practices, namely a post-mortem daguerreotype and a hair album!


October is nearly upon us again, but that's no reason to fear ghosts, ghouls, or acidic non-archival folders. Forget Halloween, this October is all about Archives Month Philly!


HSP's upcoming History in Pennsylvania Awards (HIP Awards) next month will honor several organizations that participated in the "Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories." We're very proud of them, and hope that you'll join us on October 24, 2013, to celebrate their accomplishments!

Comments: 2

If you're hungry for a meal--and for some friendly discussion about the best way to grow the food for that meal--you might want to join the Solebury Farmers Club. Founded in 1871 and still in existence, the club is among the oldest agricultural organizations in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.


Legend has it that the infamous pirate Blackbeard frequently visited Marcus Hook (Delaware County, Pennsylvania) to visit his mistress, Margaret. The Chichester Historical Society is dedicating to sharing and preserving the stories of Marcus Hook, the Borough of Trainer, and the townships of Upper and Lower Chichester.

Comments: 3

Several generations of Seifert family ciphering books (school books) trace the history of the family as well as the history of educational practice. The collection, held at the Springfield Township Historical Society (Bucks County, Pa.), documents one of the oldest families in the area. 

Comments: 2

Chadds Ford in Delaware County, Pennsylvania is renowned as the home of the Brandywine School. The influential American illustrator Howard Pyle held art classes in the area around the turn of the 20th century, attracting an extensive list of important artists including Maxfield Parrish, Violet Oakley, and N.C. Wyeth.


The Colonial Georgian structure of the Johnson House looks beautiful today, but imagine how good it must have looked in the early 19th century to enslaved African Americans on a harrowing trek northward. The Johnson House was a stop on the Underground Railroad for many Freedom Seekers passing through Philadelphia.

Comments: 2