Stenton was the country estate of James Logan (1674-1751), who immigrated to Philadelphia with William Penn in 1699 as Colonial Secretary. Logan remained the Penn family’s representative and agent in Pennsylvania for the duration of his life and served at the center of the colony’s political life. Between 1723 and 1730 he built Stenton, a fine early Georgian gentleman’s house in the countryside near Philadelphia (now lower Germantown). Stenton still stands and is an historic site administered by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania since 1899. Stenton houses about 10 linear feet of original archival papers from the Logan family and descendants,1700 to 1932, and approximately 50 linear feet of documents relating to the administration of Stenton, including research on the family, site maintenance records, and administrative records of the Colonial Dames, 1898-2013.
4601 N. 18th Street19140 Philadelphia , PA
Small Archival Repository Partner:
Small Archival Repository