Exhibits

HomeHistory OnlineExhibits

Exhibits

 

The Coxe Family Mining Papers were donated to HSP by the Coxe family in 1967.  From 1999 to 2001, with funding from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, these important records were organized, described, and preserved. The collection, consisting of more than 1,000 boxes and upwards of 300 volumes, richly documents the history of what once was the largest independent anthracite coal producer in the United States.

For this exhibit, we follow Pennsylvania's governance from 1701 to the present, watching as new peoples come to settle in Pennsylvania, as they reach for their rights and liberties, and as the meaning of liberty stretches and grows to meet them. We hope that visitors will gain understanding of how the heat of debate and the force of change create and preserve liberty and self-government even into our own time.

The J.G. Brill Company and its various incarnations dominated the world of trolley and undercarriage manufacturing for most of its seventy-year history. Based in Philadelphia, Brill was founded in 1868 by a German immigrant and held in family hands well into the 1930s. At its height, The J.G. Brill Company owned plants in six states as well as in Canada and France.

As part of the commemoration of the 125th anniversary of Philadelphia's Chinatown in 1995, a plaque was affixed to the wall of the H.K. Golden Phoenix Restaurant at 913 Race Street, where the city's first Chinese laundry was established in 1870. It reads: "In commemoration of our forefathers, this plaque is dedicated to those who came to the gim san (gold mountain) to seek their fortunes."

Pages