Creating public parks and safe drinking water for all - people and animals
Click each name to find a list of resources available at HSP.
- First municipal water works in the United States
- Became a model for similar facilities around the US
- Today is an interpretive center educating visitors on the importance of an urban watershed and how to protect and care for it.
- Lawyer known for his real estate expertise
- Original member of the city’s Park Commission, founded in 1867
- Responsible for acquiring the land tract that later comprised Fairmount Park
- Commission was formed to take charge of the land purchased to preserve the city’s water supply and provide a place of public enjoyment for the people.
- First animal shelter in the country
- Founded by Caroline Earle White, April 1869
- Began in order to improve the mistreatment of horses and dogs
- Opened a small shelter in 1912 for cats, with the countries first animal adoption program