The Young Friends of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania is a group of young adults between the ages of 21 and 45 who share a common appreciation for history. Through a variety of social and educational events, the Young Friends make history fun and relevant in today’s world. To join the Young Friends mailing list, e-mail your contact information to Bethany Chisholm at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why join the Young Friends?
- Enjoy access to historic documents and records
- Attend fun, exclusive events
- Meet new friends who share your interests
- Support the Historical Society of Pennsylvania through fund raising for the Adopt-a-Collection program (more information below)
Join HSP's Young Friends for State of Young Philly!
The History Hunt
A Philadelphia-wide Scavenger Hunt
November 14-20, 2015
Brought to you by Young Involved Philadelphia, HSP presents our first-ever State of Young Philly event! Search Philadelphia for landmarks, items, and artifacts selected by our partners for a chance to win two round trip Southwest Airlines tickets.
- Scavenger hunt lists will be made available via email, on HSP's website, and our social media platforms starting November 14
- Once an item is found, scavenger hunters will take a photo and post to Instagram, tagging HSP's account @historicalpa
- Scavenger hunters can play individually or as teams, but you must choose a team name to be included as a hashtag when submitting a photo on Instagram so we can track entries
- Be sure to keep an eye out on the social media accounts of HSP and our partners for hints throughout November 14-20!
- Join us on November 20 from 6:30-8:00 PM at HSP to find out who won! Prizes will be awarded for best Instagram photography, most inventive hashtags, and of course, two Southwest Airlines tickets for the team to finish first with the most correct answers!
- You'll have a chance to hear the stories behind your photos, speak with representatives from incredible historic non-profits, and mix and mingle with young professionals
Please contact Bethany Chisholm with questions or to register at email@example.com or (215) 732-6200 ext. 243
Making a Difference: The Adopt-a-Collection Program
The Young Friends of HSP know how to have a good time, but they are also dedicated to making a difference at the Society and the history community at large. The Young Friends have raised over $8,260 to date and fully adopted four important collections and funded additional small projects. Through their efforts these collections will become more accessible to the public. If you are interested in contributing to this important cause, please call Bethany Chisholm at 215-732-6200 ext. 243 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or
Balch Institute of Ethnic Images in Advertising Collection
ADOPTED ON 11/21/13!
This collection features ethnic respresentation within American advertisements from the late 1890's to 1999. Spanning the decades, it is a fascinating tool for deciphering national sentiment on race, gender, and commercial consumerism through the years. The collection includes advertisements for alcoholic beverages, beauty products, automobiles, household appliances, and much more.
The Trade Card Collection
ADOPTED ON 9/27/12!
These trade cards come from a wide variety of 19th- and early 20th-century businesses--from hat makers to soda companies to dry goods stores and blacksmiths. Some are simple and black and white, while others are colorful and decorative.