Position Title: IT and Systems Administrator
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer / Senior Director of the Library
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Date: April 16, 2013
The IT and Systems Administrator provides management, consultation and support for the technology-related systems and services at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania (HSP). This staff member is responsible for installation, management, and documentation of HSP’s integrated information systems and services.
- Managing and troubleshooting Windows and Linux server systems that reside on both local and hosted cloud-based infrastructure;
- Managing and troubleshooting network infrastructure that supports data, VoIP devices, wireless access points, and networked printers;
- Securing and protecting devices and data using centralized backup, anti-virus, anti-spam, and cloning services;
- Maintaining and upgrading a variety of services and software: web, email, database, fundraising and accounting applications;
- Maintaining library- and archives-centric applications, such as Archivists’ Toolkit, VuFind, Voyager and CollectiveAccess;
- Configuring and troubleshooting workstations, printers, and peripherals, as well as training staff to use hardware and systems;
- Maintaining good relationships with application vendors and developers for digital IT and library projects;
- Taking an active role in organization-wide planning and strategizing digital initiatives at HSP including digital partnerships, software and hardware selection, project support, digital preservation, IT vendor relationships and digital surrogate formats and storage;
- Staying abreast of current trends and emerging technology for library and archives, especially metadata formats such as EAD, MARC, Dublin Core and METS; and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The position requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information management, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience with a minimum of two years of relevant experience. An MLS/MLIS is preferred but not required. Two years experience with library/archives systems is strongly preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required, as well as the ability to make progress on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with the following hardware is preferred: Cisco, Edgewater, and SonicWall network equipment, Dell and HP workstations, servers and tape systems.
- Experience with the following operating systems is preferred: Windows XP/7/8 workstation, Mac OS, Windows 2003/2008 server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS 5&6.
- Experience with the following database systems is preferred: MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle, Access.
- Experience with the following software is preferred: Symantec Backup Exec, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Raiser’s Edge, VuFind, Ex Libris/Voyager, Sage MIP, Archivists’ Toolkit, CollectiveAccess, VuFind.
- Experience with Drupal CMS, PHP, RDF, EAC and RackSpace Cloud Servers and Files is a plus.
- Experience with web and mobile technologies is preferred.
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter outlining why you believe you would be a good applicant for this position
- Current resume, including recent employment and education history
- A list of three references. (Please note that HSP will not contact these people until you have been notified).
Applications should be e-mailed to:
Chief Operating Officer
Historical Society of Pennsylvania
No phone calls.