The Historical Society of Pennsylvania is seeking an intern to work in the Programs & Services Department this fall, under the direction of the Director of Programs and Communications. The intern will assist with the promotion of HSP programs. The intern will gain experience using social media tools—including Hootsuite, Google Adwords, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn—to promote HSP content and programs. He/she will learn how to draft a press release and solicit media coverage, as well as analyze visitor and website data.
The HSP communications intern may:
• Assist the communications director to promote HSP and our events and services, especially our fall teacher workshops, original document displays, and lectures
• Generate promotional materials in preparation for HSP’s spring genealogy conference
• Draft press releases
• Compile press kits and assist with media mailings
• Update the HSP media contact list, genealogy contact list, and other publicity lists
• Assist with media tours and interviews
• Help generate and gather results for a website user survey
• Organize and update the Society’s news clippings archive
• Post to social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn
• Gain experience using Hootsuite, a social media management tool
• Generate social media campaigns and Google Adwords campaigns to promote HSP
• Assist at events, including registration, set up, photography, and other jobs as needed
• Proofread promotional materials, including appeals, newsletter, and flyers
• Assist development department and programs department with mailings
• Attend biweekly Programs and Services meetings with HSP staff
• Other jobs as needed
• Intern must have strong organizational, communication, and project-management skills.
• Intern will also be responsible for providing quality customer service.
Schedule: At least 10 hours a week, flexible schedule
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume. They must also visit the HSP for an interview and pass a background check.
Please note that this is an unpaid opportunity, but HSP is a happy to work with chosen person(s) to arrange internship credit.
Director of Programs and Communications
Historical Society of Pennsylvania
1300 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
No phone calls please