Visitor Services Internship
We invite you to participate in the expansion of visitor services at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. This internship will include the development of materials and resources to educate various audiences about: HSP’s collections and services as well as peer organizations’ collections and services. This information will be combined with general tourist information as well as the research and development of concierge-style services at HSP. Interns will also work directly with the public, greeting researchers and groups and assisting them with lockers, the orientation video, registering, and collecting admission-- generally making their time here pleasant and efficient. While an immediate benefit of the internship is exposure and access to HSP’s collections and general operations, we seek to tailor this internship to include projects/components that are of professional interest to the intern.
- A warm and welcoming environment, we seek an individual that has a sincere interest in customer service, tourism, history and culture.
- The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, have the ability to speak comfortably to strangers/members of the public, a positive disposition, creative/entrepreneurial, detail-oriented and organized.
- Bachelor’s Degree in History, Marketing, Education, Library Science, Communications or Non-profit Management preferred: applicants with an equivalent of related education and work experience may also apply.
- Required: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel.
- Not required, but a plus: Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe In Design, experience with website editing
- Required: Business casual attire dress code, no jeans.
This position runs for approximately 12 weeks at 10-15 hours per week. Schedule and hours are flexible, with work being conducted on-site, at home and out in the field.
Interns who are receiving class credit for the internship must meet the requirements of the home department and make sure HSP staff is informed of the requirements.
Currently, no stipends are available for this internship.
Deadline for Fall Internships is September 1st. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Please send a cover letter and resume along with contact information for 3 references to:
Amanda J. Dean
Visitor Services Manager
Historical Society of Pennsylvania
1300 Locust St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-732-6200, ext. 221