Pennsylvania Abolition Society Papers
Pennsylvania Abolition Society Papers (Collection 490), 1748-1979, 41 linear feet
Growing out of egalitarian concerns of members of the Society of Friends, the Pennsylvania Abolition Society, as it is now known, was founded in 1775 as the Society for the Relief of Free Negroes Unlawfully Held in Bondage, but the Revolution caused its early Quaker members to suspend operations until 1784, when it reorganized with a broader base. From the beginning, the Abolition Society's programs were devoted not only to the abolition of slavery, but to the social and economic improvement of black Americans as well.
This large collection includes minutes and reports, correspondence, financial records, manumissions and indentures, and miscellaneous papers. Researchers will also find materials related to other societies to which PAS members belonged, such as the Philadelphia Anti-Slavery Society, the Young Men's Anti-Slavery Society, the South Mulberry Ward (Philadelphia) Anti-Slavery Society, the Junior Anti-Slavery Society of Philadelphia, the Bache Institute, the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Committee on Requited Labor, the American Free Produce Association, the Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society, the Vigilance Committee of Philadelphia, and the 13th Ward Republican Club of Philadelphia.
Good news! This collection has been partially adopted!Your contribution of $2,100 will enable us to write a finding aid to this collection, re-label the boxes, and create an index of names in the manumission records. Please note, this collection will not be processed until the full amount is received.