Women’s PA Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Records
Women's PSCPA Records (Collection 3156), 1870-1970, 30 linear feet
The Women’s Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (WPSCPA) was formed in 1869 by Philadelphian Caroline Earle White (1833-1916), an early proponent of animal rights and vegetarianism, as an auxiliary to the men’s organization of similar name. White served as the group’s president from 1869 to 1916, and she helped set forth the group’s original purposes of providing for the inspection and care of horses and providing refuges for stray dogs. The WPSPCA is also credited with forming the first animal shelter in the nation. The society still exists today as the Women’s Humane Society in Bensalem, Pennsylvania. Materials in this collection include annual reports, minutes, correspondence, and their publication (“The Guardian”). This diverse collection represents a significant portion of the history of an early women’s charitable organization.
Good news! This collection has been partially adopted by Carol Ingald. A gift of $1225 will complete the needed funds to begin processing and conservation work. We hope you will consider a gift to the WPSPCA records today.