Earlier this month, the HCI-PSAR team held a symposium at the Mercer Museum in Doylestown (Bucks County, Pennsylvania). Focused on the Bucks County repositories that have participated in our project, the symposium provided an overview of where our project is now, described what's ahead for HCI-PSAR, looked at our project's findings from the 23 Bucks County repositories we surveyed, and also explored various possible next steps for repositories to take now that they have received our report.
We are very excited to announce that the Historical Society of Pennsylvania has been awarded funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation in support of Phase III of the Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories! Beginning in November 2014 and continuing through April 2016, Phase III will expand the project's scope to include more types of repositories with significant archival holdings, provide training opportunities and information-sharing sessions for small repository staff and volunteers, and promote HCI-PSAR as a national model.
In 1775, the American Revolutionary War began in the British colonies on the Atlantic Coast of North America. Eight years later, these colonies won their independence from Great Britain, forming the United States of America. Despite the end of the war, the idea of independence has endured and evolved, becoming part of the American psyche.
Historic St. George’s Church located on 4th and New streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is American Methodism’s oldest church building in continuous service. Based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), Methodism is a protestant Christian faith. Methodists first began meeting at St. George’s in 1769- six years before the start of the American Revolution and fifteen years before the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in Baltimore, Maryland in 1784. Francis Asbury, one of the Methodist Episcopal Church’s first bishops, was a pastor at St.
Settled by Europeans in the early 18th century, the Borough of Downingtown (Chester County) was once located on the western frontier of Pennsylvania. In fact, the original name of Downingtown was Milltown because it was the last place you would see mills on your way West. Despite its initial remote location, Downingtown quickly became a hub of activity. Located on East Branch Brandywine Creek, mills prospered there in the 18th century.
The area that is now known as Marple Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania was purchased by a group of Quakers from the Cheshire region of England looking to build a new life for themselves. Francis Stanfield, Jonathon Hayes, and John Howell purchased the largest amounts of land in this area. It is thought by many that Marple Township received its name from the place in England in which Stanfield’s youngest daughter had been born, Marpool (today known as Marple, near Manchester in the United Kingdom).
Although European settlers had been living in the area of Nether Providence Township (Delaware County, Pennsylvania) since the mid-1600s, Nether Providence Township was established in the late 1680s when Providence Township was split into Upper and Nether Providence townships. Nether Providence was initially a farming community, but quickly emerged as a manufacturing center laden with various types of mills due to its location between Crum Creek and Ridley Creek.
Large numbers of Irish immigrants came to the United States in the second half of the 19th century seeking better opportunities. Many of them settled in the large cities they arrived in because they did not have enough money to travel very far. During the 1870s, several members of Michael Kelly and Mary (Loughnane) Kelly’s family immigrated to Philadelphia, including their daughters Mary Ann, Margaret, and Sarah. Mary Ann soon met and married Dennis O’Brien.
History buff, school teacher, musician, radio commentator, collector- Christian Carmack Sanderson (1882-1966) donned all of these hats and more! Born in Port Providence, Pennsylvania (Upper Providence Township, Montgomery County), Sanderson lived in and around that area until he went to West Chester Normal School (now West Chester University) in the fall of 1898.