Archival Adventures in Small Repositories
Meg Sharp Walton
Glen Foerd is the last surviving riverfront estate in the City of Philadelphia. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it was built circa 1850 by Charles Macalester, founder of Torresdale and financial adviser to eight U.S. Presidents. In 1893 the estate was acquired by Robert H. Foerderer, a U.S. Congressman and owner of a major Philadelphia leather tanning plant. His daughter, Florence Foerderer Tonner, a noted patron of the arts and collector, lived at Glen Foerd until her death in 1972.
Glen Foerd Conservation Corporation now administers the mansion, which houses archival materials relating to the families and organizations that have owned the property over the years as well as a small amount of materials relating to Torresdale history. The archival collections total over 130 linear feet of materials spanning the years 1870 to 2010 (bulk 1985-2004).