Archival Adventures in Small Repositories
Louis Iatarola, Jr.
Established in 1990, the Historical Society of Tacony is dedicated to preserving the rich traditions and history of the Tacony section of Philadelphia. Originally a rural community along the Delaware River, Tacony began to be industrialized in the late 19th century when Henry Disston located his saw manufacturing plant there and set about creating an ideal working class community for his employees. Tacony is also significant for being the site of pioneering developments in solar power in the early twentieth century. The Society maintains a collection of historic photographs and documents comprising about 40 linear feet of materials spanning the years 1841 to 2011 (bulk 1900-2011).