Archival Adventures in Small Repositories
The Historical Society of Whitpain was established in 1983 with the goal of restoring and preserving the abandoned Franklinville Schoolhouse. The school, built in 1858, is the only remaining one room schoolhouse in Whitpain Township still open to the public. The object of the Society is to develop a greater interest, knowledge, and support of the history of Whitpain Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and to preserve, acquire, and restore memorials, historical buildings, and landmarks in the township. Whitpain Township was settled as early as 1685 and is one of the oldest townships in Montgomery County. The Society’s archival holdings total about 10 linear feet of materials dating from 1778 to the present, including newspaper clippings, ledgers and other manuscript volumes, pamphlets, ephemera, photographs, deeds, and building plans.