Archival Adventures in Small Repositories
The Charles Albert Tindley Institute (CATI), housed at Tindley Temple United Methodist Church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, preserves and promotes the life and legacy of Dr. Charles Albert Tindley, pastor at the church from 1902 to 1933. Dr. Tindley was one of the first preachers to incorporate song with the delivery of his sermons and is considered one of the progenitors of gospel music. CATI holds about 100 linear feet of records of the church, founded in 1837 as the John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church and renamed Tindley Temple United Methodist Church in 1927. The Tindley Temple United Methodist Church records date from circa 1900 to the present and consist of membership records, church Trustee records, property and building-related documents, administrative papers, financial records, programs from church services and other events, recordings, photographs, and papers of and research on church reverends. Of note are a small amount of materials from Charles A. Tindley, including photographs of him and his original sermon outlines.