The Digital Collections Internship will provide hands-on experience in an archives environment similar to that of an entry-level digital humanities position, including the digitization of archival materials and the documentation and dissemination of digital images.
• Identify and research archival materials for digitization.
• Perform digital image capture, conversion, and preservation of historic graphic and manuscript materials using photography and scanning equipment.
• Carry out post-imaging work, including minor color correction, cropping, and other necessary adjustments using Adobe Photoshop.
• Assign technical metadata to images to aid in the discovery of digitized materials.
• Interest in archives, libraries, digital humanities and/or digital preservation, with preference given to candidates who are currently enrolled in or have recently completed a graduate-level program in archival management or a closely related field (usually an MLS, MLIS, or MA in public history).
• Familiarity with Philadelphia and American history, as well as with visual materials, including various print and photographic processes.
• Working knowledge of databases; experience with Archivists’ Toolkit or MySQL a plus.
• Experience with web-content management systems a plus.
• Highly organized and detail oriented.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with both onsite and distance workers.
Negotiable. Typically, this is a 15-week position for 10 hours per week. Schedule and hours are flexible, though work must be conducted on-site during operating hours. Interns who are receiving class credit for the internship must meet the requirements of the home department and make sure HSP staff is informed of the requirements.
December 1 for spring internships; April 15 for summer internships; July 15 for fall internships.
Currently, HSP does not have any archival internship stipends available.
Please send a cover letter and resume along with contact information for 3 references to:
Digital Services Manager
Historical Society of Pennsylvania
1300 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107