How do I find stuff?
The Historical Society of Pennsylvania has a number of Catalogs & Research Tools to help students find the sources they need. Follow the links below to use different online tools to explore the collection.
- You can search Discover by subject, author and title. You also may enter keywords, search alphabetically or browse.
- Once you reach the results list, you can narrow a search by date, author, region or type of material.
- When you click on an item, you can text, email or bookmark the record. Click on “cite it” to get the bibliographic citation in APA or MLA format.
- You will need to come into HSP to examine the items you find in Discover.
- You may search the Digital Library from its home page.
- You can click on each result and view the image and the details about it. Some results may have multiple pages/images that you can scroll through.
- To see the document in more detail, click on “Zoom +” under the image.
This guide to researching online was created by 2014 Teaching Fellow, Elissa Goldberg and adapted by 2015 Education Intern, Beth Potens.