National History Day Philly is quickly approaching. This year’s contest has students deep diving into the triumphant and tragic parts of our local, state, national, and global history as they research their chosen topics. The opening of registration is only days away - January 22. If students need a few more sources, fresh eyes to read over their papers, or someone to make sure they placed information in the correct context, they can stop by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania after school. Teachers, students, and parents can stay updated on the latest news by checking out the website!
Plan Your Visit
- Grade 6-12 students are welcome to research in HSP’s historic library and archive for FREE.
- First-time students will be paired with a mentor and given a research orientation.
- Student mentors are available Tuesday–Friday, 2:30–5:30 p.m., from October to May.
- No appointments are necessary! Just ask at the front desk or reference desk when you arrive.
- HSP is located at 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA. Our building is easily accessible from Septa’s subway and trolley lines, and Septa bus route 12 stops on Locust Street directly in front of HSP.
Important NHD 2019 Dates for Students and Teachers
- January 22 - Project Registration Opens
- February 4 - 6:00 p.m. - Project Registration Closes; Website and Paper Projects Due; Flash Drive and Exhibit Board pick-up begins
- March 13 - Senior Division Contest
- March 14 - Junior Division Contest
Students with specific questions or those wishing to get extra help may contact Kim McCleary, HSP’s Education Manager, any time (firstname.lastname@example.org).