Archival Adventures in Small Repositories
The Chadds Ford Historical Society (CFHS) in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, is a private, non-profit, community-based volunteer organization that has restored and maintains three pre-Revolutionary War era buildings which are open to the public as house museums. The Society's mission is to preserve the properties, records, and artifacts; to interpret the history; and to educate the public concerning the way of life in the Chadds Ford area with emphasis on the eighteenth century. The Society's archival collection spans approximately 27 linear feet of materials dating from 1796 to the present, including family papers, deeds, newspapers, marriage certificates, correspondence, receipts, broadsides, photographs, and maps that document the people, places, and landscape of the Chadds Ford area. Of special interest are the Dr. Benjamin S. and Dr. Isaac Anderson account books, 1821-1905, which consist of 32 ledgers documenting the medical practice of two eminent area physicians. The Society also houses the records of the Brandywine Battlefield Task Force.