Archival Adventures in Small Repositories
Historic Yellow Springs is a 140 acre site with eleven historic buildings. The history dates to 1722 as a health spa, 1777-78 as the first Revolutionary War military hospital in America, a well-known spa until the Civil War, 1868-1912 as a Civil War Orphan School, 1916-1952 as the Country School for the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 1952-1974 a film production facility for Good News Productions and to the present as Historic Yellow Springs interpreting the history, preserving the ecological elements of this site, creating and presenting programs and exhibitions and a teaching studio for fine art and ceramics. The Moore Archives at Historic Yellow Springs holds about 150 linear feet of archival materials, dating from 1823 to 2013, which document the site's history from 1722 into the 21st century. The materials are a combination of original records and collected secondary-source materials about the several organizations that have occupied the village of Historic Yellow Springs over its storied history.