Archival Adventures in Small Repositories
The Johnson House is a National Historic Landmark in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, significant for its association with the Underground Railroad and abolitionism. Johnson House Historic Site, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to "preserving, interpreting, collecting, researching, and studying historic material relating to the site; providing educational services to diverse audiences through tours, programs, outreach publications, and special events; and working closely with the community on program service development." The Johnson House Historic Site's archival holdings span several linear feet and date from 1794 to the end of the 20th century. Significant holdings relate to former occupants of the house: the Johnson family, a Quaker family of staunch abolitionists; and the Woman's Club of Germantown, which owned the house from 1917-1982 and participated in the social, civic, educational and philanthropic life of Germantown.