From presidential progeny to felonious forebears, family secrets are uncovered this fall across the U.S. in PBS’ surprise-filled second season of Genealogy Roadshow. On October 25, 2014, the show will be visiting Philadelphia to film at HSP, and we hope you can join us!
Part detective story, part emotional journey, the show uncovers fascinating stories of diverse Americans across the country. Each individual’s past links to a larger community history, revealing the rich cultural tapestry of America.
Genealogy Roadshow features participants who want to explore unverified genealogical claims passed down through family history, which may (or may not) connect them to an event or a historical figure.
Potential participants submit their stories; experts choose the most compelling stories and use resources in genealogy, history and DNA as well as family heirlooms, letters, pictures, historical documents and other clues to hunt down the truth behind the familial myths.
The most compelling answers are revealed on camera to the participants before a local audience, on location at an historic building relevant to the cities’ – and the participants’ – histories. In Philadelphia, this historic location will be the storied Reading Room at HSP.
Come see the Genealogy Roadshow in Philadelphia! Meet professional genealogists, local genealogical societies, find out about DNA as a research tool, and have your questions answered by local family history professionals.
When: Saturday, October 25, 2014, 9:00am – 6:00pm
Who: Everyone is welcome to attend this free event.
Participating Vendors Include:
- Federation of Genealogical Societies
- The German Society of Pennsylvania
- Greater Philadelphia Area Chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists
- African American Genealogy Group
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- The Daughters of the American Revolution
- Family Tree Magazine
- Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia City Archives
- Northeast Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, Inc.
- National Archives at Philadelphia