Fondly, Pennsylvania

Fondly, Pennsylvania is a joint blog of HSP's archives, conservation, and digitization departments.  Here you will find posts on our latest projects and newest discoveries, as well as how we care for, describe, and preserve our collections.  Whether you are doing research or just curious to know more about the behind-the-scenes work that goes on at HSP, please read, explore, and join the conversation!

Author: D'Arcy White


Out of some 600 items in HSP’s collection of cased photographs, the very first one I opened was an absolute gem. My work lets me examine and admire many old photographs, but never before had I encountered one with its own accompanying love letter which brought the photograph to life.

Topics: 19th century
Comments: 1
Author: Cary Hutto

When we chose the Belfield papers (Collection 3159) for the PACSCL Hidden Collections Processing Project, we weren't entirely sure what the processors might find in those 3 Musketeer boxes.  We only knew for certain that (1) they contained papers of members of the Wister family, the Starr family, Logan family, and Daniel Blain.

Comments: 0
Author: Willhem Echevarria

As part of the NHPRC Civic Engagement Project we’ve begun arranging the papers of Morris Milgram.

Comments: 0
Author: Cary Hutto

I recently finished processing the fantastic papers of Curtis Bok (Philadelphia attorney and judge) and his wife Nellie Lee Holt Bok (religious educator from Nebraska). This collection has been full of so much wonder and discovery that it’s been hard to know what to highlight – it’s all so great! – from learning about Nellie Lee’s world tour and visit with Mahatma Gandhi in 1926 to Curtis Bok’s landmark obscenity case, Commonwealth V. Gordon.

Topics: 20th century
Comments: 0
Author: Dana Dorman

April was a month of learning, sharing, and inspiration for me, thanks to several conferences and workshops.

First, I attended the annual meeting of the National Council on Public History (NCPH), held in Pensacola, Florida this year.

Comments: 0
Author: Matt Shoemaker

Before I even applied for my current internship, which is in digital collections, I debated whether or not I should apply for a traditional archive internship ... processing, describing, ladder-climbing, etc... To be honest I do a little bit of those now. Actually, I do a lot of ladder climbing (it's a good thing I got over my fear of heights during a rappelling excursion in college), but I do a lot more than that as well.

Comments: 0
Author: Faith Charlton

About 90% of materials that will be included in the Greenfield digital project on the Bankers Trust Company of Philadelphia come from the Albert M. Greenfield Papers (collection 1959). The other 10% include items from other collections here at HSP that also provide information about the bank.

Comments: 0
Author: Ashley Harper


Yesterday, April 5th, 2011, we at HSP hosted an event for the new, Musical Finding Aid. What does this mean, you ask? Do not fret, if all your questions aren't answered in the next paragraphs please leave a comment!

Comments: 0
Author: Matt Shoemaker

I am happy to announce that the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's new digital assets management system (DAMS) has officially gone live for the public!   You can access the DAMS by going to

Comments: 2